1418 Bonita Avenue
First Time on the Market since 1938
Built in 1891 by Ira Boynton for Leo A. Brown, a local engraver, the house included a well-manicured garden, an aviary, fountains and elegantly appointed public rooms. It sold in 1940 to Mary Dumas, a Professor of Design at the University of California Berkeley. She was a painter and textile artist and her work resides at the Oakland Museum as well as the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum in New York City. The house has been in the family ever since.
The garden has matured since then, with fruit trees, fountains, and an ancient RedBud that has amazing flowers in early spring. The house has a stately presence and elegant public rooms with 12' ceilings and tall windows throughout. The living room and front door have stained glass borders. The eat-in kitchen has been updated and has storage galore. The master suite is a generous retreat from the world with ample space and a gas burning fireplace. The large lot could accommodate an accessory dwelling unit or a thoroughly lovely private urban retreat. The walkout basement has tall ceilings and is waiting to be utilized again as a creative space.
8,100 sq. ft. lot per public records
1 Car Garage
Shopping, transportation, and fun amenities are just a few blocks away. A walkable neighborhood so leave the car in the driveway.
Saturday, October 26, 2:00 - 4:00
Sunday, October 27, 2:00 - 4:00
Thursday, October 30, 9:30 - 12:00
Additional Showings by Appointment:
Contact Mary Canavan